Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Playing with Light and Tattoos


After an open-call on facebook, I only had one taker for a free photo session for a person with tattoos. I wanted to play with different lighting scenarios to achieve some looks I hadn't attempted before. This setup was done in-home, in-dining room to be specific. I brought my backdrops, lights, and my box of props and we spent almost two hours mixing and matching different ideas.


For this shot I used two lights as seen below in the setup image. The main light was a wireless strobe set inside my octa-box. The back light was another wireless strobe with an orange colored gel on it to give the light a warm glow. All my settings and equipment are documented in the image below.




Here we are using a full length black fabric backdrop with three lights. The main light is a wireless strobe inside the octa-box camera left. Second light is just visible on the right side and is shining into a white reflective umbrella with an orange colored gel, the final rim light is a home-made strip light to add separation between the background and the model.





Still using the black fabric backdrop, here we are using the same octa-box and reflective umbrella as the previous shot, but instead of a strip light, I have used a strobe light with a pale orange gel and a home-made grid to restrict the amount of light spilling into the camera. This allows for a nice glow on the hair and provides separation from the background.





Here we are using a full length black fabric backdrop with three lights. The main light is a wireless strobe inside the octa-box camera left. Second light is just visible on the right side and is shining into a white reflective umbrella, the final rim light is a home-made strip light to add separation between the background and the model.









For these final images, I neglected to document the light placement. I used a home-made beauty dish directly above the model's head with the strip light shining from behind the model on the right hand side. The white reflective umbrella was toned down and moved further away to the right and was used to fill in any harsh shadows cast by the beauty dish.




Thank you for taking the time to view and appreciate my photography

I am always looking for models to collaborate on new ideas

I am currently located in Aztec NM USA

For more about  me and my photography click here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave feedback but be respectful to my models