Tuesday, July 28, 2015

When is the best time to take maternity photos?




::: If you're looking for the quick answer its 30-32 weeks :::



In my professional experience photographing pregnancies, the best time to plan your maternity photo session is when you are 30-32 weeks, which is  approximately 7 ½ months into your pregnancy. At this time, the baby's gender is typically known and can be utilized in choosing colors and props for your session. The size of your tummy increases the most in the third trimester, and for most women at 32 weeks, it is symmetrical and round. If you wait until your belly is larger, the baby tends to sit very low or rests on one side creating an asymmetrical appearance. You also don't want to wait too long to schedule your session in case of early delivery. By taking your photos earlier in you pregnancy your energy will last you through a longer photo shoot. My maternity sessions typically last between one and two hours with multiple wardrobe changes and lighting adjustments. 



I would suggest no less than four sessions to capture the Milestones Of Maternity:
First, an initial, establishing shot to introduce the mother and the pose. Second, using the same pose, background and lighting to show a slight tummy bump. Third, near the end of your pregnancy, same pose, background and lighting showing a full term belly. Finally, using the same pose, background and lighting now holding the baby in the same pose used in the previous three sessions. A composite is created to place all these images side-by-side to showcase the changes throughout your pregnancy and the birth of your baby. 


I now utilize my living room as a studio in my home. I have all my props, backdrops, and lighting available in a dedicated space that I am happy to open to you in order to document this amazing time in your life.

If you would be more comfortable in your own home, my studio equipment is fully portable.  I can bring all the studio essentials with me, and be set up and ready to take your photos within about fifteen minutes of arriving. If  you have a living room, dining room, or bedroom where the furniture can be moved to one side, then you can have my studio set up in your home.

I have light and dark backdrops I can bring with me depending on which you prefer, or which will coordinate best with your wardrobe and pose selections. I have a portable support system for these backdrops, so there is no need to attach anything to your walls. Setup and take-down is all included in the cost of  your session and there are no hidden fees. I charge one flat rate for your session, and at the conclusion of your series I will deliver to you a USB-drive of your entire session, bloopers and all.

As the father of three children, I have been through the changes pregnancy brings, and can look back and cherish the memories documented during those times. I was present for the birth of all my children at the hospital, and documented the events surrounding each pregnancy. I know how it feels to experience those memories through photographs years later. I am proud to offer my photographic talents to others so they may re-live their memories and share them with their own children.


Do you want to have a record of how much you have changed through your pregnancy?
Instead of wishing you had beautiful maternity images, why not start right now? Here we see a series that began early in the first trimester through the whole pregnancy and includes the baby to conclude the series.






One session per month is a great way to document your entire pregnancy, but for a more complete series, I recommend you schedule a session every three weeks. This time allows for a more subtle change from session to session, but is beautiful once the images are aligned in a composite of the entire progression series. The trick is to keep the same poses and lighting so the series of images flows seamlessly together. 





After a progression photo shoot, I allow time for a few "freestyle" maternity photos. These are not part of the repeated poses from the series, but instead it allows for creative collaboration. So if you come across an idea for a photo, but may not want the same one every month, this is the perfect time to bring those Pinterest ideas to life. This is also the perfect time to announce gender and play with color choices in lighting, wardrobe, and to incorporate props into your session.












For those of you who are nearing the end of your pregnancy, but still wish to document it, we can arrange to take a "before and after" progression. This involves a series of images to show off your belly in poses that will also work well to hold the baby, once he or she is born.











If you want to begin your journey toward documenting your pregnancy

Contact me below to arrange a consultation

Thank you for taking the time to view and appreciate my photography

I am currently located in Aztec, New Mexico, USA

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate you effort by providing us these information on best pregnancy planning process. I am trying all methods to get pregnant naturally. So I might use this method as well.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave feedback but be respectful to my models