Sunday, August 5, 2012

Behind the Scenes of a Simple Headshot

 
I would like to offer a behind the scenes look in my studio, with a how-to guide for this lovely portrait. My intention was to create an evenly lit head shot, with a dark (but not black) background.

Now, for the shot and a description of the setup,




 What I try to do during any photo session, is take a step back and capture a setup shot, to show how the lights were arranged for a particular image. This allows me to duplicate any look I have created in the past with a quick reference shot.




These head shots were lit using a total of three small flashes and modifiers to change the apparent size of the light. The first, main light on the left, is inside a large soft box, and set to 1/2 of its total power output. The second light, on the right, is shot through a white umbrella and set to 1/4 power output. For the third light (also 1/4 power), I covered the front of the flash with a slightly orange piece of plastic known as a gel, as well as a "grid" of plastic tubes to restrict the light and keep it from spreading all over the room. The power output for each light was set manually, as was my camera's exposure.




The combination of the soft box and umbrella on her face allow the light to wrap around her and create a beautiful portrait. This third light warms just the edge of her hair and shoulder, but it also separates her from the background. Without this light, her hair would be near the same tone as the background, and she would blend more with the background fabric.



Thank you for taking the time to view and appreciate my photography.
I am always looking for new models to collaborate on new ideas.

For more about me and my photography click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave feedback but be respectful to my models