Sunday, August 23, 2015

Dining Room Studio Setup for Kristie and Her Girls


I have photographed Kristie and her girls before, and it is so much fun to photograph them as they grow up. Watching them change in photographs is a privilege and is a big part of why I enjoy taking portraits for others. This session was set up in her dining room complete with a low hanging light fixture which we tied up higher to the ceiling. I brought a white paper roll as well as a full length black fabric to use as backdrops during this session. I set up with four lights this time using a large soft-box on the main light and a white umbrella for the second. The third and fourth lights I initially set up facing the white paper in order to get a nice bright background. I also added a square white reflector below the main light to help fill in shadows. All the portraits using the white background were shot this way. I included a set-up shot below, but the space was so tight, I couldn't get all my lights in the wide-angle setup shot. That didn't stop me from getting some beautiful images though.


I changed things up a little bit with the black fabric by putting the two background lights into my DIY-made rim-light modifiers. The soft-box and umbrella were brought closer, and the white reflector remained in place to fill in shadows. In the final closeup portraits I brought the main soft-box to the center of the room with the white reflector tight up underneath it with a very small gap between the two, which is where I was shooting through. The two rim lights were aimed at their hair and the white umbrella I kept further back and to the right of the camera to add  more dimension to the reflections in their eyes.


Below are a few of my favorites from this session.



































































































Thank you for taking the time to view and appreciate my photography.
I am always looking for new models to collaborate on new ideas.

For more about me and my photography click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave feedback but be respectful to my models